From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo with SATA DVD/CD drive?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:35:14
1 On Thursday 19 January 2006 11:45, Charles Marcus
2 <cmarcus@×××××××××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Install Gentoo
3 with SATA DVD/CD drive?':
4 > Anyone got this to work?
5
6 Normally, SATA CD/DVD drives are not picked up by the current or mm
7 kernels.
8
9 There is a libata module option: atapi_enabled since ~2.6.14. If you are
10 booting a kernel of that version or greater, simply append
11 libata.atapi_enabled=1 to the kernel (if libata is compiled in) or
12 modprobe command-line.
13
14 If you are using a livecd with an older kernel version, you'll just have to
15 hope that the livecd builder applied the necessary patch to older kernels
16 to support ATA_ATAPI -- the patch is rather trivial, so if you have other
17 hardware that forces you to use one of these older kernels during initial
18 install, contact me and I can tell you what to patch. [Heck, I use a
19 similar, trivial patch instead or passing a module parameter.]
22 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
23 bss03@××××××××××.com
24 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
25 --