From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:32:44
1 On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx> wrote:
2 > I just read an article that says systemd is taking over linux and linux
3 > is not linux anymore:
4 > http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/11/20/systemd-redux/
5
6 I highly recommend the article John Corbet wrote for LWN a week ago:
7
8 http://lwn.net/Articles/619992/
9
10 TL;DR, the sky is not falling, let's see how systemd evolves and
11 succeds, fails, or it's replaced.
12
13 > I kinda have to agree which is partially why I'm not using it. Will
14 > Gentoo have any plans of forcing its users to move to systemd or will I
15 > always (such as its always roughly been) have the option of using init
16 > and openrc as it is now?
17
18 As long as there are developers willing and able to support OpenRC in
19 Gentoo (and it looks like there are), that will be the case. To make
20 sure that this remains to be true, help them.
21
22 I personally have no reasons currently to
23 > switch from one to the other. It seems like it might be a great thing if
24 > you have linux containers.
25
26 It's actually a great thing for a lot of use cases. But it doesn't
27 seem that Gentoo will change defaults soon, although systemd works
28 great with it.
29
30 Regards.
31 --
32 Canek Peláez Valdés
33 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias