From: Michael Scherer <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:09:31
1 which motherboard did you buy? it might be interesting to search
2 for other users' experiences.
3
4 michael
7 Michael Scherer
8 Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie
9 email: michael.scherer@×××××××××××××.at
10 phone: +43 6991 941 22 54
11
12 ----- Original Message -----
13 From: "Philip Webb" <purslow@××××××××.net>
14 To: "Gentoo User" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
15 Sent: Friday, 20 April, 2012 11:25
16 Subject: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
19 > My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
20 > I've now successfully installed a new one,
21 > but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
22 >
23 > The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
24 > which was necessary for the old mobo,
25 > but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
26 > The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
27 > so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.
28 >
29 > (1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
30 > (2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
31 > or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?
32 >
33 > Can anyone advise ?
34 >
35 > --
37 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
38 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
39 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca