From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to remove a single binary package
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 19:56:44
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 01 Feb 2014 12:33:33 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 01/02/2014 12:55, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Hi All,
5 >>>
6 >>> I have a couple of binary packages in a box under /usr/portage/packages
7 >>> that I no longer need. How can I selectively remove one or some of them
8 >>> only?
9 >>>
10 >>> qpkg -c www-client/chromium
11 >>>
12 >>> or
13 >>>
14 >>> eclean packages
15 >>>
16 >>> nukes the lot.
17 >>
18 >> man eclean
19 >>
20 >> the -d and -n switches let you be a little more selective just like
21 >> cleaning distfiles. They deal with packages based on whether they are
22 >> still in tree or you have them installed. To deal with specific
23 >> versions, use rm like Nei said
24 >
25 > Thank you both.
26 >
27 > Don't think I can use the eclean -d -n for singular packages. As I
28 understand
29 > it all non-installed packages will be removed, which not what I want.
30 >
31 > If I use rm to manually get rid of a single package, all its metadata
32 will
33 > still be left in /usr/portage/packages/Packages. Does this matter?
34 Which
35 > function uses the information this file and how might it be affected
36 if the
37 > binary package has been removed manually?
40 It doesn't have to clean that much but it can. Just a small part of the
41 man page:
42
43 o --time-limit is useful to protect files which are more
44 recent than a given amount of time.
45
46 o --size-limit (for distfiles only) is useful if you want to
47 protect files bigger than a given size.
48
49 o --fetch-restricted (for distfiles only) is useful to
50 protect manually downloaded files. But it's also very slow (again, it's
51 a reading of the whole Portage tree data)...
52
53 o Finally, you can list some categories or package names to
54 protect in exclusion files (see EXCLUSION FILES below).
55
56 You can put limits on it if you want to keep some things around.
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
64 how you interpreted my words!