From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unplugging USB wireless adapter
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:41:00
1 > > I think it is no longer needed and udev should take care of all this. At
2 > > last, I do not have hotplug nor coldplug and inserting/removing all usb
3 > > devices, laptop modules, PCMCIAs works on runtime.
4 >
5 > That's fine with most devices, but causes a problem with network
6 > adaptors. No hotplug system can anticipate your removing the device and
7 > unmount NFS shares before you do it, so the only safe way to remove a USB
8 > NIC is to bring down the interface first.
9
10 Here's the problem. I have an Edimax and a Linksys USB adapter. They
11 both use the rt73usb driver in 2.6.24. I can stop the interface and
12 successfully switch from Edimax to Linksys, but trying to go from
13 Linksys to Edimax says the hardware is not present when trying to
14 start the interface again. Rebooting fixes it. Can anyone make sense
15 of that?
16
17 - Grant
18 --