From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eth0 not responding (sleeping??)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:04:46
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:23:38 -0400 "Timothy A. Holmes"
4 <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > > Flaky switch? (Too) long or bad (non-standard) cabling? That
7 > > was usually the explanation when I was seeing such behaviour.
8 > >
9 > Not sure what you mean about hijacking the thread, but I am sorry -- I
10 > didn't mean to do anything wrong.
11
12 No, you're only hurting yourself: Thread hijacking describes using the
13 "reply" facility of your email program to start a new thread (instead
14 of starting a new, fresh email, e.g. by clicking on the ML address).
15 Email agents that make use of information in the mail headers for
16 displaying threads will show your mail inside the structure of an
17 existing thread. Some people might not even find your message buried in
18 there. See the following link for knowing what I mean:
19 http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/browse_frm/thread/601571a0fced1a73/e17f8a0483af6690?tvc=1
22 > As far as the switch, its on a hub that is on the span port of a
23 > foundry switch (the hub is used as a poormans network tap -- I have
24 > seen the same type of failure on machines directly connected to a
25 > switch also)
26 >
27 > The cable is a commercially manufactured cable that tests out
28 > correctly
29 > - -its about 6 feet long
30
31 Did you try if it works with another cable, on another port of the
32 switch/hub? That would be proper exclusion of probable errors. You're
33 description tells me what you have, but not if it's working right now.
34
35 HTH,
36
37 -hwh