From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -e world stop at ncruses no error
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 03:33:26
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:17:01PM -0800, Ken Robbins wrote
2 > I just updated to gcc4.0.2 went ok did emerge -e system went good
3 > then updated portage
4 > now I trying to do emerge -e world it start off ok till it get to
5 > ncurses start off in that ok, but then stop go back to the prompt no
6 > error no noting to tell me what going on, before this I remove some
7 > blockage faad2 xpdf
8 > anyone know what up on this?
9
10 You're going to have a hard time believing this. I ran into this
11 same problem some time ago on an older machine. The solution is to set
12
13 MAKEOPTS="-j1"
14
15 in /etc/make.conf and restart the emerge. There are one or two other
16 packages for which this is necessary. I simply leave "-j1" on all the
17 time. It's not worth the hassle when a compile blows up occasionally,
18 and then switch MAKEOPTS back and forth. Yes, emerges are a bit slower,
19 but consider how much time you "save" versus how much this one incident
20 has cost you. Besides, you can usually emerge while working, or fire it
21 up before going to bed.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
25 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
26 --