From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 08:20:57
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I been holding off on upgrading Firefox. Basically, it breaks addons
4 > that I just can't go without. Tab groups and some other tab utilities
5 > are among them.
6
7 Basically the situation is the following:
8
9 >=firefox-57 support so-called WebExtensions which intentionally
10 are less powerful (hence safer) than legacy extensions.
11 For security and compatibility reasons, it will *never* be the case
12 anymore that WebExtensions are able to change browser behaviour.
13
14 Exceptions are only certain well-defined APIs which will presumably
15 not change dramatically in future versions.
16 For instance, there is a tab API, but essentially it is limited
17 to basic things like searching/activating/closing/opening tabs etc:
18 https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Working_with_the_Tabs_API
19 So no WebExtension will ever be able to offer tab functionality which
20 goes beyond that.
21
22 Essentially, there is no other choice than to live with it:
23
24 Stable firefox-52 and maybe some firefox forks (palemoon, waterfox,
25 tox-browser) support legacy extensions for a while. However, if they
26 support them for a longer period and do not have similar resources
27 than mozilla, I would not trust them anymore, because it means that
28 they diverged from upstream too much to fix all security issues by
29 pulling. (Not to speak about security issues existing in the
30 legacy extension code which will never be fixed by upstream, anyway).
31
32 As usual, there is the balance
33 "convenience" (old plugins) <-> "security".
34 In the beginning (say, until firefox-52 is no longer supported
35 upstream), there is a certain choice. But after that staying on the
36 "convenience" side is not sane anymore.