From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need some help with switching KDE setup from i915 to radeon graphics
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 23:10:47
1 Hello Fellows,
2
3 My PC had been running on Intel graphics for 1½ years. Finally, I got myself
4 an AMD R7 370 today and installed it (together with a second set of 16 Gigs
5 of RAM ^^).
6
7 I could use some help getting it working properly. Here is what I did:
8 yesterday I enabled VIDEO_CARDS=radeon in make.conf and rebuilt world with
9 --changed-use. I also reconfigured the kernel to build the Intel driver as
10 a module and to include the radeon module.
11
12 After installing the card, at first I only had a black screen and found out
13 (thanks to #gentoo) that I needed a firmware blob. Once that was installed,
14 I had a KMS-enabled VT on my AMD-connected monitor. Yay.
15
16 Now I'm stuck with a malfunctioning X (or more specifically, KDE, as it
17 seems). I can run AwesomeWM just fine. But when I try to start KDE, I see
18 the first of those fading-in progress icons and then the screen goes black.
19
20 I created a test account to have a clean setup of KDE. This starts KDE
21 partially, only up to a desktop with an empty panel. There is no mouse
22 cursor to move around and no reaction to shortcuts such as Alt+F2.
23
24 What else could I have missed in my migration from Intel to AMD? eselect
25 opengl only shows the xorg-x11 option. I had to comment out a modeline which
26 I set manually in xorg.conf.
27
28 See attached:
29 - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/gfx.conf
30 - /var/log/Xorg.0.log from running startx with .xinitrc containing startkde.
31 You can see those three blocks of modelines at the end. At around or just
32 before this point the screen goes dark.
33
34 Can anyone give me a nudge. Or maybe I should as in a KDE list.
37 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
38 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
39
40 Faithfulness is a lack of opportunity.

gfx.conf text/plain
Xorg.0.log text/plain