From: "Bruce Hill
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual/shadow
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:24:52
1 On March 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
5 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > These virtual apps are irritating me, and the fanboi answers in
7 #gentoo
8 > > are worse.
9 > >
10 > > What is the purpose of virtual/shadow and why would I want it?
11 >
12 > Virtual packages are kind of an abstraction layer for compatible
13 > alternative packages. Other packages can depend on the virtual instead
14 > of depending on every combination of possible alternatives, and the
15 > user can install whichever of the alternatives he prefers.
16 >
17 > For example, MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. From a
18 > dependency standpoint, they are compatible. Instead of any program
19 > depending on MySQL being modified to check for either MySQL or
20 > MariaDB, virtual/mysql was created and it can be satisfied by either
21 > dev-db/mysql or dev-db/mariadb being installed.
22 >
23 > In the case of shadow, he new virtual is to allow you to use either
24 > sys-apps/shadow or sys-apps/hardened-shadow. See here:
25 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/249394
26 >
27 > If you view the virtual package's ebuild, this line is the key:
28 > RDEPEND="|| ( >=sys-apps/shadow-4.1 sys-apps/hardened-shadow )"
31 > HTH :)
35 Thanks for the kind explanation. I didn't realize hardened was not a
36 profile (selinux is) and wondered why anything to do with hardened would
37 even show up on my system(s).
38 --
39 Happy Penguin Computers >`)
40 126 Fenco Drive ( \
41 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
42 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
43 support at happypenguincomputers dot com
44 http://www.happypenguincomputers.com