From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost wireless network
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:05:55
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, pat <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 [ Humongous snip ]
3
4 > Still the same :-|
5
6 Seems really weird. I can only think the following options:
7
8 1. Something is messing up with NetworkManager.
9
10 1.a. Can be possible that the /etc/init.d/net.* scripts are running
11 alongside NetworkManager? I don't use OpenRC (I moved to systemd), but
12 I clearly remember that for NetworkManager to run OK in Gentoo you had
13 to disable the net.* services in /etc/rc.conf:
14
15 rc_hotplug="!net.*"
16
17 1.b. Maybe something is wrong with your NetworkManager/wpa_supplicant
18 installation; try deleting (after making a backup, of course) the
19 following directories/files:
20
21 /etc/NetworkManager
22 /etc/wpa_supplicant
23 /etc/conf.d/net
24
25 and then emerge again both packages:
26
27 emerge -1v networkmanger wpa_supplicant
28
29 And try again after a reboot.
30
31 2. Maybe (for some weird reason) NetworkManager refuses to work in
32 your system. If this is the case, disable all your network services
33 (avahi*, cups, NetworkManager, net.*), and boot to a console. When I'm
34 dealing with this kind of stuff, I even disable X, just to be sure:
35
36 rc-update del NetworkManager
37 ...
38 rc-update del xdm
39 reboot
40
41 When you are in your console, try connecting to a WEP access point by hand:
42
43 ifconfig wlan0 up
44 iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID key MYPASSWORD channel MYCHANNEL
45 dhclient/dhcpcd wlan0
46
47 If it works, then is something related to NetworkManager.
48
49 If it doesn't, I can't really thing of anything else at the moment.
50
51 Regards, and good luck.
52 --
53 Canek Peláez Valdés