From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:40:24
> > I really appreciate all the advice. I have about 11 of 12 GBs copied > > >from the laptop to the desktop system now via the tar|ssh method so I > > guess I'll let that complete. Once it's done, how can I move the data > > back over the network to the reformatted laptop? > > Well, tar|ssh simply done the other way round should do the trick. But > Kashani has a point---if your connection is unstable, rsync has a big > advantage over tar, so better just try his commandline.
The thing I'm confused about is how I can get anything back to the laptop when it won't even have an OS on it. I could boot a LiveCD but I don't think I'll be able to connect to the wireless network. The laptop's card is a madwifi/ath0. When booted into the LiveCD, lspci does recognize the card but there is no net.ath0 interface. I don't have any ethernet connectivity to the Gentoo router since I don't have a crossover cable. - Grant -- gentoo-user@g.o mailing list