From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New kernel does not boot up on remote host
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:08:15
1 On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:40:20 +0200
2 Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > 2007/7/5, Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>:
5 > > On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 11:36 +0200, Galevsky wrote:
6 > > > Many thanks for you suggestion. I tried a boot with no fall back,
7 > > > but nothing added neither to boot.log nor to dmesg. I am sure to
8 > > > target the right kernel image with no typo into grub.conf . This
9 > > > new kernel is a =xen-sources-2.6.16.49, and I configured it
10 > > > making an oldconfig based on current =gentoo-sources-2.6.20
11 > > > running kernel. So, errors cannot come from drivers or such
12 > > > things, but specific xen options. Does anyone know any xen option
13 > > > able to prevent the kernel to boot up ?
14 > >
15 > > I guess I (still) don't understand what your issue is. So I went
16 > > back and read your original post. Maybe I misunderstood it.
17 > >
18 > > * What do you mean by "remote host"?
19 >
20 > I rent a dedicated host. Thus, I have no physical access to the
21 > machine. And the reason why I used the fall-back feature into grub is
22 > to avoid the use of a boring rescue system (via a web interface) to
23 > take back the control of a not-responding box.
24 >
25 > > * If your box "does not boot" how would you expect to see a
26 > > boot.log or dmesg ? They don't exist if the system has not
27 > > booted. In fact "does not boot" implies that you can't
28 > > even log in to check for dmesg or boot logs. Perhaps you can
29 > > explain what it is exactly you mean by "does not boot".
30 >
31 > When I try to boot on the new kernel, I set it as the "default" one in
32 > grub.conf and reboot the box. And I wait for a few minutes. Then I try
33 > to log on, praying to find the box responding.
34 >
35 > First, with grub fall-back activated, the boot had fallen back and I
36 > was able to read the logs that contained the running kernel logs, but
37 > no info about the kernel boot that failed. That was the matter of my
38 > first mail: how to read the reasons of the first kernel-boot-attempt
39 > failure.
40 >
41 > Secondly, you advised me to turn fall back off. I do. The box is no
42 > more responding after reboot, and I have to launch the "rescue system"
43 > to log on my box, and read the /var/log/*. I thought previously that
44 > some pb happened -I didn't know when exactly-... and was waiting for
45 > more info in log files. But files were empty. So, I conclude that the
46 > boot procedure failed (and you too ;o)).
47 >
48 > Finally, I have to find out why my kernel is not booting. I tuned up
49 > well my previous kernel, a gentoo-sources-2.6.20 -this kernel runs
50 > currently my box very well- and the kernel I want to boot now is a
51 > xen-sources-2.6.16. I made an oldconfig on /proc/config.gz of the
52 > 2.6.20 running kernel, and fill in xen-dom0 specific options as
53 > indicated on the wiki tutorial [1]. So, I guess I did something wrong
54 > with the dom0 xen config, and asked for advice on xen specific options
55 > with my second post.
56 >
57 > > * Usually there is an error message on the console if there
58 > > is a boot loader/kernel issue with booting.
59 > > * Also you never posted your grub.conf.
60 > >
61 > > So hopefully you can come up with a specific explanation of "does
62 > > not boot" as well as your config and any console messages you get.
63 > > Else this becomes a "blind leading the blind" issue.
64 >
65 > I have no console message to provide you, I just know that my remote
66 > box is not responding when I try to boot another kernel (If you know
67 > the way to get logs, I'll be grateful :o)). And I checked the
68 > /var/log/* to be sure that the kernel was not running but just missing
69 > any network feature so that I could not log on the box despite the
70 > kernel was actually running.
71 >
72 > As for my grub.conf + 'ls -l /boot' , I will provide you in a while (I
73 > need to go home before), but I am not sure it is relevant. (just to
74 > check for typo I guess).
75 >
76 > > --
77 > > Albert W. Hopkins
78 > >
79 > > --
80 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
81 >
82 > Many thanks to take care of my problem :o)
83 >
84 > Gal'
85 >
86 > [1]: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo
87
88 from /etc/conf.d/rc:
89 # RC_BOOTLOG will generate a log of the boot messages shown on the
90 console. # Useful for headless machines or debugging. You need to
91 emerge the # app-admin/showconsole package for this to work. Note that
92 this probably # won't work correctly with boot splash.
93
94 RC_BOOTLOG="no"
95
96 I recommend you install showconsole and set RC_BOOTLOG to yes, that
97 might help you. It is possible that maybe something as mundane as
98 networking is failing for a stupid reason, and therefore you cant get
99 to the computer because it cant finish booting.
100 --
101 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list