From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [EXAMPLE] Configuring xorg without hal
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:10:58
1 On 12/27/2010 03:52 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On 12/27/2010 06:03 AM, walt wrote:
3 >> ...
4 >> My new (post-hal) mouse config:
5 >>
6 >> Section "InputClass" <----- note the new word "Class", not "Device"
7 >> Identifier "trackball" <----- can be anything you want
8 >> MatchProduct "ImExPS" <-----*new*. Matches the product name!
9 >
10 > Clarification about that MatchProduct keyword:
11 >
12 > Hal and udev differ slightly in the way they identify hardware devices
13 > (is anyone surprised?).
14 >
15 > When I run 'lshal' to display all my hardware, I see this about the mouse:
16 >
17 > info.product = 'ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse'
18 >
19 > Now for the confusion. When I run 'udevadm info --export-db" I see:
20 >
21 > E: PRODUCT=11/2/6/6d
22 > E: NAME="ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse"
23 >
24 > Note that MatchProduct in the xorg.conf file really wants the udev NAME,
25 > *not* the udev PRODUCT.
26 >
27 > I suppose the MatchProduct keyword was selected back in the day when
28 > hal was still the boss instead of a has-been. "MatchName" would be much
29 > less confusing than "MatchProduct". But don't hold your breath waiting
30 > for it to change.
31
32 Thanks, Walt, this is great. It's good to see the potholes in the road
33 before the wheel gets in them. These are the kinds of tidbits of
34 information that you really want to find when you are looking for them
35 once you're *in* the pothole, but keeping up with the list and with
36 input from the great people here, it makes the ride much less bumpy.