From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot Gentoo to clean windows
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:40:53
1 On 28 Mar 2008, at 22:12, Alan Milnes wrote:
2 > On 28/03/2008, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > Your note is excellent but I disagree with this bit:-
5 >
6 >> If the PC is still slow then check disk-space, pagefile settings
7 >> ("allow the system to manage pagefile size for me", click "set")
8 >
9 > unless as a temporary workaround you should always have the paging
10 > file set as a fixed size to avoid worsening the chronic
11 > fragmentation problem on Windows.
14 I'm not arguing with you, but for me it depends on the user & usage &
15 stuff. Several years ago, before XP, I used to be a Windows "power
16 user" - I kept my pagefile on a separate disk and set it's size
17 manually. I even monitored usage in Task Manager (or was it one of
18 the utilities under "Administrative Tools"?) to see what actual
19 amount of swap was used, but was never convinced of the accuracy of
20 the results (it seemed so little). Whilst a pagefile of fixed size on
21 a separate disk may be the "best" way to configure a swap file, I
22 don't think it's optimal for most users.
23
24 There are times when someone else may work on the PC, and having the
25 swapfile on C: is simply what they'd expect to find, if they ever
26 need to mess with it. I generally like to have systems that I
27 configure for my Joe Sixpack customers to generally look "normal" and
28 "standard", so that there's ease of maintenance and so that
29 everything just "makes sense" if anyone else (probably less
30 experienced than I) works on it in the future.
31
32 Take, for example, partitioning - it's quite logical and correct to
33 have a separate partition for the C: drive and another, D:, for
34 users' files & folders; this protects users' documents on D: if
35 filesystem corruption occurs on C:, or if a Windows reinstall is
36 otherwise needed. But unfortunately this configuration needs more
37 maintenance in the future if one of the partitions becomes full -
38 experience tells me that there's always one user in the household who
39 will not understand to use D:, and that users will try uninstalling
40 programs and deleting their letters to free up space, if the system
41 starts complaining that the C: drive is full. I would prefer they
42 call me, so that I can delete something that's REALLY consuming
43 space, or resize partitions appropriately, but they often do not do
44 so, and with 5% or less free space the partition gets rapidly
45 fragmented and slows down considerably (to the extent that
46 defragmenter may be unable to do its job). When short of disk space
47 other users may right-click on the drive properties and choose
48 "compress files on this drive to save space" - this slows down the
49 system even more!
50
51 But I admit that - if the system has two drives installed already -
52 then putting the swapfile on the second drive is probably less of a
53 problem than my partitioning example. (Although, having said that, if
54 this user _does_ choose to have a D: drive and intends to use it for
55 something, then a pagefile.sys scattered amongst their music or video
56 files might be confusing, or simply considered clutter).
57
58 Just because you set the swapfile to a fixed size doesn't mean it's
59 not fragmented - admittedly, if you do set it to a fixed size, then
60 boot from another disk and defrag the drive then the pagefile should
61 never fragment in the future, but I'm not convinced of the cost-
62 benefit of doing so. A fragmented swapfile is only going to be a
63 problem (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong) if the system is
64 writing out a page of memory that spans multiple fragments. If the
65 swapfile is contained in only (for example) two fragments then how
66 often will this occur? I have no idea - and one of the reasons I gave
67 up Windows on my own machines is its the sort of thing that's
68 completely undocumented - but I'll bet it's not too often.
69
70 A swapfile of a fixed size is a compromise between consumption of
71 disk-space and the risk of running out of pagefile. I have customers
72 I don't see for two years, so what seems perfectly adequate for a
73 swapfile now may seem silly small when I next see them. Although I
74 don't tend to monitor swapfile sizes & usage, Windows memory
75 requirements have bloomed in that time - 2 years ago one might've
76 gotten away with 256megs of RAM, but I'm certainly recommending at
77 least 768meg now.
78
79 Considering the size of hard-drives these days I guess I'm being
80 silly in not simply allocating a fixed-size swapfile of 2gig (or even
81 4!) and trusting that that'll be adequate for the life of the
82 machine, but I don't like to waste space unnecessarily, and I'd just
83 far rather the machine said "out of virtual memory, increasing swap
84 file size" if it needs it.
85
86 To generalise, I have two kinds of customers - those who fragment
87 once a month, and those who never do. I don't think the slight
88 penalty of a fragmented swapfile is noticeable to either category.
89 Either their machine is quick enough, anyway, or it tends to
90 horrendous slowness. The risk / hassle of running out of swap space
91 is more considerable, IMO.
92
93 Like I say, I'm not saying you shouldn't set the swapfile to a fixed
94 size, I'm just saying it's horses-for-courses. I guess I'd recommend
95 setting the swapfile to a fixed size to readers of this list, whereas
96 I wouldn't to most of my customers.
97
98 Stroller.
99 --