From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wvdial: dialup for users
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:46:07
1 Followup:
2
3 Oh, it work, ok... until I rebooted. Then it didn't work for ordinary
4 (non-super users) to #wvdial anymore.
5
6 Apparently, using udev and sysfs, etc., the devices are made on boot.
7 Funny, that I had to run MAKEDEV to make the higher numbered nodes, like
8 /dev/ttyS14, where my modem resides. (The modem is not at this place on one
9 of the other systems I was playing around with---Knoppix, I think).
10
11 I am now going to learn udev. I want to anyway: I like the way Ubuntu jumps
12 into action when a flash drive or a printer is plugged in, and so do my
13 GNU/Linux doubting friends :-).
14
15 So far, it looks like rules for creating the device nodes include
16 permissions components.
17
18 I will get there eventually. Does anyone know, right off hand, though, how
19 to produce a rule to set up /dev/ttyS14 (/dev/tts/14 in the new
20 nomenclature) with permissions to allow dialup by anyone in group dialout?
21 It works to just do the following after booting:
22 # chmod o+rw /dev/tts
23 # chmod 0+rw /dev/tts/14
24
25 Is this a security issue?