From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choosing a new profile: multilib or not?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 03:44:42
1 On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:53:06 +0000 Mick wrote:
2 > It used to be the case that adobe flash and other applications would not work
3 > with a no-multilib profile.
4 >
5 > However, I was surprised to see that a previous no-multilib installation of
6 > mine was able to play flash in Firefox. So, I thought of asking here if there
7 > is any reason to avoid installing a no-multilib profile these days. What
8 > applications binary (e.g. Skype) or source compiled won't work with no-
9 > multilib?
10
11 For skype you have to either build qt, X11 and some other libs with
12 multilib support (abi_x86_32) or use emul-linux-x86-* prebuilt
13 packages. Either way your system will end up with 32-bit libraries
14 installed, but in case of multilib they will be optimized for your
15 hardware and use cases (*FLAGS and USE).
16
17 Best regards,
18 Andrew Savchenko