From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:28:01
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> DAle,
7 >>> PLEASE look at bullet item #3 in this NVidia release:
8 >>>
9 >>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-275.09.07-driver.html
10 >>>
11 >>> <QUOTE>
12 >>>
13 >>> Fixed a bug that caused freezes and crashes when resizing windows in
14 >>> KDE 4 with desktop effects enabled using X.Org X server version 1.10
15 >>> or later.
16 >>> <QUOTE>
17 >>>
18 >>> Sure sounds familiar to me...
19 >>>
20 >>> - Mark
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >> Yea, that does sound familiar. Trying to recall who could have had that
25 >> problem. Hmmmm. Oh, it was me !! lol This is my card info:
26 >>
27 >> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GT 220]
28 >> (rev a2)
29 >>
30 >> Drivers:
31 >>
32 >> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.19
33 >>
34 >> That is the latest for my card that is in the tree.
35 >>
36 > No! It is not the latest. It's just what portage is offering you. The
37 > link I sent you clearly (!?) stated that you need to be running the
38 > latest 'Certified' driver revision 275.09.07 to get this fix. Just
39 > because the Gentoo devs haven't marked it as stable does (to me) mean
40 > that I should take their word for it. The company that makes the GPU
41 > AND designed the driver says to upgrade, so in this case I do what
42 > NVidia tells me.
43 >
44 > mark@c2stable ~ $ eix nvidia-drivers
45 > [I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
46 > Available versions: 96.43.19!s 173.14.28!s 173.14.30!s
47 > (~)256.53!s 260.19.44!s 270.41.06!s (~)270.41.19!s (~)275.09.07!s
48 > {acpi custom-cflags gtk kernel_linux multilib}
49 > Installed versions: 275.09.07!s(10:21:39 AM 06/24/2011)(acpi gtk
50 > kernel_linux multilib -custom-cflags)
51 > Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com/
54 > mark@c2stable ~ $
55 >
56 > Do the right thing for your machine. Keep it up to date as per
57 > portage, not downgrading to old Xorg stuff, and use the driver NVidia
58 > tells you to use.
59 >
60 > Happy, happy.
63 >> Now keep in mind, going
64 >> back to the older xorg fixed the Konsole and resizing issue I had. So far,
65 >> I'm not sure Firefox has its problem fixed. I'm going to try it here in a
66 >> few. Just close everything I can, type in sync and open the thing and see
67 >> if the smoke gets out. Oh, got to install it again too. Almost forgot
68 >> that.
69 >>
70 >> It's funny in a way. I haven't been to the nvidia website in ages. I just
71 >> sort of guess at a version, try it and see if it works. If not, try another
72 >> one until I find one that does. There isn't that many in the tree. I never
73 >> use the latest because I have never had that new of a card. :/
74 >>
75 > New drivers AREN'T only for new cards. They are also for old cards
76 > that develop new problems. I.e. - a resizing problem in KDE4 with a
77 > new Xorg package.
78 >
79 > In this one case of NVidia hardware, if I'm going to use the closed
80 > source driver then it seems to me the controlling authority of what to
81 > use is NVidia and a Gentoo dev who doesn't have this problem. I
82 > suspect if a Gentoo dev had the problem you're having this driver
83 > would have been marked stable weeks ago!
84 >
85 > Cheers,
86 > Mark
90 Since I only use portage to install things, if it isn't in portage, I
91 don't see it. Yea, I could most likely download and install it manually
92 from Nvidia but I like the way portage does it. That's why I use Gentoo
93 to begin with. Even when I used Mandrake, I didn't like installing
94 things outside of what Mandrake installed itself. Nvidia was one of
95 those but I don't think they put the drivers in their list of packages
96 anyway. Sort of had no choice with them. I just wonder why no one has
97 updated this in the tree yet?
98
99 As for xorg, if going to a older version will fix something, then a
100 older version it is. It's no different than me running something
101 masked/keyworded to fix a issue. Heck, I have ran several packages that
102 were masked/keyworded because it had a fix for some problem. I suspect
103 most all of us have done that at some time or other.
104
105 Also, I do know that drivers get updated even for older cards. They are
106 always coming out with some fix, new feature or just a new bug. lol I
107 upgrade them sometimes on my old rig with a FX-5200 card. It happens
108 often enough.
109
110 Dale
111