From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "stack-protector-strong" option results in gcc error
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:09:39
1 On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 04:54:03 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > Gentoo stable appears to be gcc-4.7.3-r1. ebuilds up to gcc-4.9.1 are
4 > present in the tree. Upgrading gcc is painful, so I appreciate the
5 > maintainers not forcing a rebuild with every version bump.
6
7 Upgrading gcc hasn't been painful for some years. I think 3.3 to 3.4 was
8 the last one with an ABI change that needed a world rebuild for
9 consistency. Since then, upgrading GCC has been no more troublesome than
10 upgrading sys-apps/helloworld.
14 Neil Bothwick
15
16 "Most problems go away if you just wait long enough. It might look like
17 I'm standing motionless but I'm actively waiting for our problems to go
18 away. I don't know why this works but it does."
19 Scott Adams, Dilbert comic