From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 20:08:20
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:17 PM, James` <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Jc García <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> > I'm not saying push one over the other, but explain and delineate
5 >> > that choice
6 >> > *early* in the handbook. WE owe the larger linux community that wisdom::
7 >> > that gentoo has made peace with systemd and openrc:: imho.
8 >
9 >> OpenRC is there on the stage3, systemd isn't, if you don't think about
10 >> systemd you get an OpenRC installation, I think it would confuse more
11 >> people to talk about choosing init system(especially noobs) right at
12 >> the beginning of the handbook.
13 >
14 > I think during the installation (before the reboot) lots of software
15 > can be installed or removed. So that means that systemd and companion
16 > packages are part of the installation. And systemd is a choice during the
17 > profile selection part of an installation.
20 ++
21
22 I think the systemd install instructions really need to be folded into
23 the main handbook. Otherwise you end up doing the two in parallel. I
24 just went through the btrfs raid1 install both with openrc and systemd
25 and found all of three lines where anything is done differently
26 (though I didn't get into setting up network, logging, enabling
27 services, etc). Just picking a profile is really 90% of it.
28
29 Long-term there is discussion of removing sysvinit+openrc from the
30 stage3 and just making installing it a step like installing your
31 favorite logger or cron or MTA implementation. There is really only
32 one blocker I'm aware of for doing this - which is fixing shell
33 scripts which reference a deprecated functions.sh that was part of
34 openrc previously (it has nothing to do with openrc functionally).
35 Installing sysvinit and openrc would be really simple and fast
36 (certainly faster than systemd), and it could of course be pulled in
37 by a profile just as systemd is. Or maybe it stays in the stage3 but
38 is pulled in as a default for a virtual, so that it gets depcleaned
39 after installing systemd. There wouldn't be any blockers either way,
40 so anybody who wants both installed could still do so.
41
42 Gentoo is about choice, and we try to make most of our decisions
43 pragmatically. Defaults are just defaults, and where it is reasonable
44 we try not to even have defaults. In fact, if you're running a chroot
45 or container install, you might not want any init implementation
46 installed (though both systemd and openrc are being designed to run
47 inside containers if desired).
50 Rich