From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: joost@××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:20:32
1 On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:41:54 +0100
2 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, March 21, 2014 12:59, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:50:23 +0100
6 > > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Tom,
9 > >>
10 > >> Please reply to list. No need to include me in the recipient list.
11 > >
12 > > Please filter duplicate mails. No need to tell each other this.
13 >
14 > I filter on the server, using SIEVE-scripts.
15 > Please provide the correct syntax I need to do this.
16
17 The vnd.dovecot.duplicate extension can be used to do this, RFC:
18
19 http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole/raw-file/tip/doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt
20
21 It is designed exactly for this purpose, quote from the introduction:
22
23 Duplicate deliveries are a common side-effect of being subscribed
24 to a mailing list.
25
26 Example correct syntax:
27
28 require ["vnd.dovecot.duplicate", "fileinto", "mailbox"];
29
30 if duplicate {
31 fileinto :create "Trash/Duplicate";
32 }
33
34 This will move duplicates to Trash/Duplicate, given that you enable the
35 vnd.dovecot.duplicate extension; I use a similar rule in procmail.
36
37 > You are the only one causing duplicate emails, all others on this
38 > list do NOT cause duplicate emails.
39
40 That's because some people here are users that don't commonly use
41 bigger mailing lists and thus have no such filter in place; however,
42 when you get to participate in bigger mailing lists, you will get such
43 duplicate mails by design if you don't have a filter. Take for example
44 the LKML, where it is common practice that relevant mailing lists as
45 well as individuals are CC-ed; you'll get a dupe as one of either.
46
47 Being the sender of a message, however, some mailing lists allow you to
48 control whether you want to be CC-ed; this can be done by setting a
49 "Reply-To header", but in this case it is always overridden which
50 removes the ability to guarantee you'll receive the message.
51
52 There are other participants on the Gentoo mailing lists that
53 participate in other mailing lists too; and when met with Reply-To
54 mungling, they do the same approach. eg. Michał Górny (mgorny)
55
56 > This means the cause is on your side and the solution should then
57 > also be on your side.
58
59 The goal is to ensure people receive their mail; if I were to make a
60 solution on my sight, it voids that goal as the guarantee is gone.
61
62 > > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
63 > > http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
64 >
65 > I disagree with those. Seen those arguments before along with the
66 > opposite versions. Mailing lists where a reply does not work are
67 > broken. Mailing lists where I always end up with duplicate replies
68 > don't stay used by myself for very long.
69
70 Given a present filter, I use any mailing list; I don't let technical
71 differences in the software being used overcome the ability to state
72 something on a mailing list, and if a technical difference does matter
73 to someone (0.1% in this case) I expect them to adapt. This ain't a
74 place where "One True Way" is to be enforced; as you can see, I very
75 well consider the standard reply button to be broken...
76
77 > >> Also, no need to reopen a closed mail
78 > >
79 > > A thread can't be closed by its individuals; you can choose to not
80 > > reply, but that doesn't withhold the ability for others to reply.
81 >
82 > True, but a mail-thread that hasn't had a reply for over a month is
83 > usually considered closed. It's nice that you decide to catch up with
84 > your emails, but please then take care not to flood inboxes as well.
85
86 Similar to above, right click and "ignore thread" could be used as
87 well as "sort / group by thread"; as without both features, there's no
88 dam in place to avoid the flood from happening.
89
90 As for the river / sea, there's no way to convince the river / sea to
91 go away; it'll be there, even if you could use a bucket to remove me,
92 there'll be another person or so tomorrow.
93
94 In comparison, on the LKML you will get replies one or more months
95 later; if you there then reply claiming a thread is closed, it'll be
96 perceived as everything but that...
99 With kind regards,
100
101 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
102 Gentoo Developer
103
104 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
105 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
106 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D