From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: raid1 grub ext4
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:13:23
1 Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
4 > > James, if I'm not wrong (legacy) sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
5 > > does not have drivers for ext4. Not sure if there's
6 > > a patch for it, or if grub2 can boot from ext4.
7
8 Mick, that's what I was wondering.
9 No evidence either way, that I could find
10 so I decided to make everything ext4.
11
12 > There's no need for extents on such a small partition,
13 > nor journalling (because you write to /boot so
14 > rarely, the likelihood of a power failure when you're
15 > doing so is minuscule).
16
17 Yea, sure, but that's not the point. I just wanted to
18 use ext4 for everything. Not on this system, but often,
19 my boot partition is very active, as I copy many kernels
20 there for many different (arch)machines and different hardware
21 (HD, SSD, CF, SD...) I try to make the many systems I admin
22 as homogeneous as possible, hence the switch to ext4
23 for boot.
24
25 James