From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge error
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:46:34
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > If I reboot, I *may* loose the firewall completely, depending on what
5 > > the drive does. The only safe thing is to build another firewall before
6 > > rebooting the current firewall (then see if fsck will fix it).......
7
8 > Then don't reboot. Mount another drive somewhere temporary, copy the
9 > contents of /var to it, then unmount /var and mount the new drive
10 > on /var. Reformat the original filesystem and reverse the process.
11
12 Earlier I posted the partitions:
13 /dev/hda3 18G 2.1G 16G 12% /
14 udev 125M 2.6M 123M 3% /dev
15 shm 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shm
16 /dev/hda1 393M 46M 347M 12% /boot
17
18 since /var is part of / (on the same partition) will this still work?
19
20 > > Either way, once I build a new firewall, I'm going to copy it
21 > > to CF and be done with these old ide drives.........
22
23 > Use a suitable filesystem, or the flash memory will die very quickly,
24 > especially if you put /var on it.
27 What would be the best file system to use on said CF HD to extend the life?
28 I usually use the reiserfs on boot and root (simple partioning scheme).
29 But, I'm open to suggestions here.
32 The other thing I'm going to do is keep a master (k6) system with
33 a good HD for compiling updates and start distributing binaries
34 to all of the other k6 (586) firewalls.... That should greatly
35 help extend the life too..... (any ideas on the caveats of this
36 scheme are most welcome).....
37
38 James
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list