From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 01:15:41
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>>> Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu)
3 >>>>
4 >>> My learned-this-the-hard-way advice: while this is generally true, if
5 >>> you ever come across a 720 or 1080p video that doesn't use a
6 >>> hardware-accelerated codec, you would rather the HTPC not sound like
7 >>> it's about to launch itself into orbit doing software decoding.
8 >>>
9 >> Completely true. I switched from nvidia-drivers to nouveau and now I
10 >> rely on ffmpeg threads to decode 1080p. It works great most of the
11 >> time. There are some videos that won't decode via threads, they
12 >> return some sort of "cannot parallelize" error.
13 >>
14 >> I went with this Phenom II X4 3.7Ghz hog:
15 >>
16 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103934
17 >>
18 >> I wonder if I'll be able to decode 1080p in software on a single core
19 >> now without losing A/V sync. I kinda doubt it. I've been on an
20 >> Athlon X2 3.1Ghz.
23 >>> And if you're going to keep it in a cabinet, you would probably also
24 >>> rather said cabinet not catch fire (I had to cut holes in the back and
25 >>> mount fans).
26 >>>
27 >> I'm discovering that fans which are said to be very quiet actually
28 >> are. I'm going to increase my case fans from 0 to 2 along with this
29 >> aftermarket CPU cooler:
30 >>
31 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
32 >>
33 >> Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
34 >>
35 >> - Grant
36 >>
37 > I've put together the new system and everything works really well.
38 > Here's the Gigabyte motherboard:
39 >
40 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490
41 >
42 > - Grant
48 Nice mobo. I always want a lot of slots but rarely use them. I'm stuck
49 in the old days where the mobo was basically a CPU and ram with a floppy
50 port hanging off the side. lol
51
52 Give us a speed report. What CPU did you get? Cores and all. Heck,
53 I'm nosey today.
54
55 Dale
56