From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] is purchasing a usb blu ray a good idea?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:19:03
1 My new (dell E7450) laptop will be a slimline with no internal optical
2 drive. So I want to purchase an external optical drive. My first
3 thought was to get a drive that is both
4 a blue ray READER and
5 a dvd writer
6
7 I naively thought that USB is USB so any such drive would work.
8 However googling (especially linux sites) shows pages devoted to DRM
9 issues. Although I do not intend to rip or write a blu-ray, the
10 number of pages devoted to DRM seem to indicate more pain than gain for
11 the few times I might read a blu ray.
12
13 An alternative is to buy from dell a dvd-only drive they say works with
14 ubuntu (an OS distribution they support). I don't believe dell sells
15 blu ray drives.
16
17 Opinions?
18