From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] build programs in other distros
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:26:39
1 On 28/07/2017 23:07, Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hi, All.
3 >
4 > I've used a few distros, but mostly for curiosity. Being a Gentoo user
5 > for ... well, more than a decade, I'm used to build binaries in a very
6 > simple way, that simply works for me.
7 >
8 > So, I probably learned the way to do it using Gentoo, and nothing else.
9
10 Gentoo is a distro that has to have a compiler, or at least the build
11 host does. So it's hugely different from say Ubuntu where compiling is
12 discouraged
13
14 > Recently I tried to build one of my programs in an Ubuntu distro, and it
15 > didn't build at all, messing library and include files names and locations.
16
17 Did you have the matching -devel packages installed? They give headers
18 and such, compiling never works without them.
21 > How do real developers manage this? And why this difference happens, in
22 > the first place? Why mangle uper/lower case characters in library file
23 > names?
24
25 You are going to have to supply facts to get an answer, otherwise you
26 are just venting and giving other people a chance to also vent.
27
28 Names of things are just names of things and upstream projects seldom
29 know about how every other project names things. File name collisions
30 are common. So distro maintainers often enforce naming conventions to
31 try avoid this problem and it often works out well. But, to compile
32 anything on that distro you have to know how the distro works and what
33 the policies are. No way around that one, so go search for developer
34 guidelines for Debian and start reading.
35
36 > I guess that's why "autoconf" "configure" et al exists... But never
37 > tried to learn about them, so perhaps it's time now?
38
39 No, that's not what those tools are for.
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com