From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot see Grub menu
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:45:57
1 On Monday 13 August 2012 00:08:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:52:32 +0200
3 >
4 > Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > > > When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing
6 > > > > active
7 > >
8 > > ---------------------------------------^
9 > > *cough* *wink wink*
10 >
11 > damn, I got that one the wrong way round. again.
12
13 It's easy enough: "its" = "belonging to it"; "it's" = "it is/was/has".
14 The apostrophe denotes a missing letter or two, not possession.
15
16 Hmm. Maybe it isn't so simple after all if you don't know it. It just
17 seems simple to me since it's what I was taught 60-odd years ago and
18 it's stuck.
19
20 It seems to me that most people (especially those not of these shores)
21 use "it's" in every case, just in case. If you see what I mean.
24 Rgds
25 Peter