From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:31:57
1 I'm planning to build a new rig. My current rig is about 7 or 8 years
2 old now and it needs to be updated. Current rig is AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs
3 of ram and a Abit NF7 v2.0 mobo. Couple hard drives too.
4
5 New build #1 with links and all.
6
7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
8
9 COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black case. I included this
10 because of the rather LARGE CPU heatsink that is going to be listed
11 later. I did a google image search and saw it in other rigs so it
12 should fit in there.
13
14 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265
15
16 MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X motherboard. It's not the latest
17 but it is a OK mobo.
18
19 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125296
20
21 GIGABYTE GV-N210OC-512I GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0
22 x16 HDCP video card. I don't do gaming. Actually, my old FX-5200 does
23 pretty well but won't fit in the new mobo. I really don't need a super
24 fast video card here.
25
26 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153116
27
28 Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V Power supply. I
29 like this brand and would like to stay with this but if the price is
30 right, I could be tempted to change my mind. My biggest question on
31 this, can this handle this mobo, CPU, video card and 3 to 4 drives
32 including a DVD burner?
33
34 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103644
35
36 AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB
37 L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor. From the searches I did,
38 this should fit this mobo fine. Agree?
39
40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104073
41
42 Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop
43 Memory. I have used this brand before with not one problem. Like
44 before, if the price is right, I could change this.
45
46 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118056
47
48 ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX CPU Cooler. This thing got good reviews and it is
49 not priced to high. According to the searches I have done this will fit
50 the mobo/CPU and should fit in the case. Any disagreements on this?
51
52 This is build #2:
53
54 I'll be using the same case, power supply, video card etc so I won't
55 list them all twice. Just listing the things that have to be changed.
56
57 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431
58
59 GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. The only
60 thing I don't like about this is that it doesn't have a com port for my
61 UPS. I guess a adapter will be found somewhere.
62
63 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
64
65 AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket
66 AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor. This should fit the mobo according to the
67 website. Agree?
68
69 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148325
70
71 Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
72 Desktop Memory. According to newegg this fits the mobo. Agree?
73
74 I only plan to build one or the other not both. I would like to make
75 sure everything should fit fine but I would also like to get a opinion.
76 I would like a opinion on whether build #2 would be better in the long
77 run? It appears to be a bit faster although the price is not much
78 different. Build #1 is $611.92. Build #2 is $637.92. That doesn't
79 include shipping but a lot of the items have free shipping anyway.
80 Basically, I need this to last me several years since I can't afford to
81 rebuild every few years. Also, one reason for the HUGE CPU cooler, I
82 run folding in the winter. Helps heat the place up a bit. lol My
83 current rig with a Volcano 12 runs at about 90F at full load. I would
84 like to run pretty close to that since it just makes the CPU last longer.
85
86 I'm open to ideas, discussion, problems and opinions. I mostly want to
87 make sure each build will work and which I should build.
88
89 Thanks for your time and replies. If you need more info, let me know.
90
91 Dale
92