From: Rennie deGraaf <rennie.degraaf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Error on login: *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption...
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 03:41:08
1 A few minutes ago, I discovered that I can't log into my firewall
2
3 If I try SSH from inside, it gives me my login banner and immediately
4 disconnects, without prompting for a password. This suggested to me that
5 when trying to clean up the mess left by upgrading the shadow package
6 yesterday (and first removing pam-login) as reccomended by a
7 GLSA-200606-02, I left something incorrectly configured.
8
9 If I try SSH from outside, the connection times out. I don't know why
10 this happens - the iptables configuration should allow SSH connections
11 from outside, and the timing suggests a problem before reaching the
12 login or pam code.
13
14 If I try to log in via a virtual TTY on a serial port, I get the message
15 "*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x142e1cc8
16 ***" (the address varies) after entering a username, but before entering
17 a password. This suggests a problem with either the login or pam
18 software; I can't see how a configuration error could cause this.
19
20 If I try to log in via the system console, I get the same error as with
21 the serial line.
22
23 My firewall is running a tightly locked-down minimal install of Gentoo
24 2005.1 with the hardened kernel and toolkit and all relavant security
25 updates applied. I think that the kernel is 2.6.11-hardened-r15. Other
26 than my inability to log in, it seems to be working - the DNS server is
27 still responding, and it still seems to be forwarding packets correctly.
28 The system has been up since some time in late august or early
29 september 2005.
30
31 I guess that the only way to get into the system and try to fix it is to
32 reboot into single-user mode, but before I take it down for maintenance,
33 I'd like to know if I'm dealing with a software problem or a
34 configuration problem (since with my firewall down, I will have no way
35 to look up more information from the Internet). Does anyone know what
36 this error signifies in this context, or have any suggestions on how to
37 recover?
38
39 Thanks,
40 Rennie deGraaf