From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags for amd64 (running in 32 bit)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:57:21
1 John Jolet <john@×××××.net> writes:
2
3 > Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 > >I'm running 32bit gentoo on an amd athlon64 would the architeture USE
6 > >flag still be ~x86? or something else?
9 > k8
10 > --
11
12 Sorry to be a pest on this, but I was unable to verify this
13 information on a google of "site:gentoo.org ACCEPT_KEYWORDS k8"
14
15 In fact there seems to be a fair bit of confusion on this.
16 I suspect my /etc/make.conf is wrong in several ways.
17
18 First let me explain: I switched computers due to my main linux box
19 giving up the ghost. I grabbed an athlon64 +3400 running winxp and
20 pirated it for my main gentoo desktop.
21
22 I switched over lots of stuff from the salvaged HDDs to the athlon.
23 Not sure now what I may have edited into /etc/make.conf. Somehow I
24 still got some amd stuff in it. probably from a 'from scratch
25 install' using a stage.
26
27 Anyway cutting to the chase I have this in there, I added everthing
28 below ALSA_CARDS I think:
29 ==============
30 # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
31 # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
32 CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
33 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
34 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
35 ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
36 GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.cs.lewisu.edu/gentoo/"
37 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
38 USE="samba smb mysql symlinks kde qt dvd alsa cdr emacs
39 xinerama mbox apache2 hal logrotate objc gcj sasl
40 vmmouse wacom radeon tga vesa vga via vmware nptl
41 nptlonly -ipv6 -imap -maildir -gnome"
42
43 ===============
44
45 Note that I am NOT running 64bit gentoo but 32bit gentoo on this
46 athlon64.
47
48 It shows architecture as athlon xp which it is not. That is also 64
49 bit but from what I understand is still different than athlon64.
50 The xp mobos etc are cheaper, and not socket 754 I don't think.
51
52 Mine is socket 754 with K8V mobo chipset K8T800. I'm guessing that is
53 where the `k8' comes from.
54
55 I've been running with above make.conf with no (noticed) problems for
56 about 2 mnths. But now updating so would like to get it right.
57
58 So do you know if:
59 CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
60 is wrong?
61
62 And if I wanted to run ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~XXX" keeping in mind I'm not
63 running 64bit gentoo, what would the `XXX' be?
64
65 /proc/cpuinfo below:
66
67 processor : 0
68 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
69 cpu family : 15
70 model : 4
71 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
72 stepping : 8
73 cpu MHz : 2255.376
74 cache size : 1024 KB
75 fdiv_bug : no
76 hlt_bug : no
77 f00f_bug : no
78 coma_bug : no
79 fpu : yes
80 fpu_exception : yes
81 cpuid level : 1
82 wp : yes
83 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
84 bogomips : 4516.25
88 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list