From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 20008 install problem: "Could not find the root block device in ."
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:55:02
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I just downloaded install-amd64-minimal-2008.0.iso, burned
4 > it, and tried to boot&install. But during boot-up, a message
5 > comes:
6 > ____________________________________
7 > >> Determining root device...
8 > !! Could not find the root block device in .
9 > Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same,
10 > type "shell" for a shell, or "q" to skip...
11 > root block device() :: _
12 > ____________________________________
13 >
14 > What am I supposed to do???
15 >
16 > It is a common pc, with Asus mobo (nForce4 chipset),
17 > 2x sata-disk, 1x sata-dvd, nvidia graphics. Everything
18 > correctly detected in bios and during boot-up.
19 >
20 > On the same computer, I could install gentoo-2007 last year,
21 > but unfortunatelly disk has died, so I had to replace it and
22 > install again...
23 >
24 > Jarry
25 >
26 If the 2007 cd worked then use that one. It doesn't matter what cd you
27 start from, only that you get started. For that matter (as people
28 always say) you can boot off of knoppix or the lfs (linux from scratch)
29 disk. The only thing the cd does for you is provide a working linux
30 environment that you can chroot from to install gentoo.
33 Eric Martin
34 Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F