From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 11:09:18
1 On 27/02/20 21:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > A fairly cheap amd64 system can run a ton of services in containers
3 > though, and it is way simpler to maintain that way. I still get quick
4 > access to snapshots/etc, but now if I want to run a gentoo container
5 > it is no big deal if 99% of the time it uses 25MB of RAM and 1% of one
6 > core, but once a month it needs 4GB of RAM and 100% of 6 cores. As
7 > long as I'm not doing an emerge -u world on half a dozen containers at
8 > once it is no big deal at all.
9
10 Do all your containers have the same make options etc? Can't remember
11 which directory it is, but I had a shared emerge directory where it
12 stored this stuff and I emerged with -bk options (use binary if it's
13 there, create binary if it isn't).
14
15 That way, when I updated my systems, I updated the "big grunt" system
16 first, then the smaller ones, so the little ones didn't have to emerge
17 anything other than what was unique to them.
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol