From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [gentoo-user] local mirrors
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 05:59:21
1 n952162@×××.de wrote:
2 > Thank you for the explanation. I wonder what the local mirror page means when it talks about saving bandwidth. What *does* it serve if not the distfiles? And when /etc/portage/repos.conf points to my local server, why would portage disregard that?
3 >
4 > The rsync server on the mirror host points to the gentoo portage installation on that local mirror host. How can any metadata there know about anything that's not already resolved there?
5 >
6 > At the very least, I suspect that that local mirror page is wrong and rather refers to something that *could* be implemented (without extra packages being installed, just by configuration), but isn't yet.
11 I used to use this package that I think is what you want, if I
12 understand you correctly.
15 root@fireball / # eix net-proxy/http-replicator
16 [I] net-proxy/http-replicator
17      Available versions:  3.0-r8 4.0_alpha2-r7^t{tbz2}
18 {PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"}
19      Installed versions:  4.0_alpha2-r7^t{tbz2}(04:52:11 AM
20 04/01/2019)(PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7")
21      Homepage:            https://sourceforge.net/projects/http-replicator
24 root@fireball / #
27 Back when I had a couple or more systems running, I used that to manage
28 the downloads of distfiles.  Of course, it is installed on one machine
29 and that machine does the downloading, last I used it anyway.  Between
30 this package and being able to sync others from my main rig, it saved a
31 good bit of bandwidth and time in my old dial-up days.
32
33 If I misread what you ware trying to do, ignore me.  ;-)
34
35 Dale
36