From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:45:46
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:44:57 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
6 >> as it start point, root directory if you will? I read the man page but
7 >> suspect I am missing it somewhere. There has to be a way since it is
8 >> done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
11 > The same way you change directory when you extract, with -C.
12 >
13 > tar cf archive.tar -C /mnt/gentoo .
18 Well, it don't like that here. I used your command and replaced with
19 the correct parts of course:
20
21 root@smoker / # tar cf /data/Gentoo-stuff/stage4-x86-04-2009.tar -C
22 /mnt/gentoo
23 tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
24 Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
25 root@smoker / #
26
27 I'm missing something that is likely very obvious here.
28
29 Dale
30