From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 21:37:26
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:45:01 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>> cp -auv
6 >>>
7 >
8 >> The -u part can save time but I did run into trouble with that once. I
9 >> never did figure out why but rm -rfv everything and then doing a cp -av
10 >> fixed it. Maybe it was a fluke but who knows. Also, if he is copying
11 >> to a freshly partitioned drive, there shouldn't be anything there to
12 >> update anyway so it will still copy everything.
13 >>
14 > You've just explained why rsync is a better choice.
18 It may be better but my point was that I once had problems with the -u
19 option. It was a freshly formatted drive so no idea why the -u would
20 have even mattered since it has to copy everything over anyway.
21
22 Dale
23