From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE and permissions problems
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:20:42
1 Howdy,
2
3 This is sort of weird. I upgraded my kernel to gentoo's 3.2.9. When I
4 rebooted, I noticed some odd issues with permissions. When I try to log
5 into Konsole or some other root access program, I get something like this:
6
7 The program 'su' could not be found.
8 Ensure your PATH is set correctly.
9
10 or
11
12 Permission denied.
13 Possibly incorrect password, please try again.
14 On some systems, you need to be in a special group (often: wheel) to use
15 this program.
16
17 This is also really odd permissions:
18
19 -rws--x--x 1 root root 36680 Mar 16 23:36 su
20 -rws--x--x 1 root root 52416 Mar 16 23:19 umount
21 -rws--x--x 1 root root 42592 Mar 16 23:36 passwd
22
23 There are a few others but you get the idea of my problem here.
24 Somehow, the permissions seem to be off a bit. I have re-emerged the
25 packages that own these files, no change. I have googled but only found
26 old issues with this.
27
28 I have not changed or even touched fstab in a good long while. I have
29 not added or changed permissions regarding my user either. It seems
30 some update has caused this but if re-emerging the package doesn't fix
31 it, then what? I am in the wheel group. I'm also in the tty group.
32
33 I rebooted to my previous kernel, thought maybe it was a config issue or
34 something, no change. This was working a few days ago.
35
36 Also, when I am in a console, I can log in as a user but can't su - to
37 root. I can log in as root directly tho tho. So switching from user to
38 root using su is out even in console.
39
40 I have a new unbooted install on a separate drive, it has the same odd
41 permissions on it.
42
43 Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on how to fix it?
44
45 Thanks.
46
47 Dale
48
52 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
53 how you interpreted my words!
54
55 Miss the compile output? Hint:
56 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"