From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 and RTL-8168
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:12:22
1 Am 29.01.2011 17:07, schrieb Dale:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> On Saturday 29 January 2011 13:29:53 Florian Philipp wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi list!
6 >>>
7 >>> I'm thinking about building a new media PC and wanted to use an ASUS
8 >>> M4A88T-M/USB3 mainboard (link: [1]). Any objections to this?
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> I wouldn't buy an Asus board at the moment, thanks to their crappyness.
12 >>
13 >> I bought a GA-880GA-UD3H 4 weeks ago. It works.
14 >>
15 >> rtl8111d/e lan chip
16 >> usb3
17 >>
18 >> lots of pcie slots.
19 >>
20 >> note: you don't have to care about the realtek suffices.
21 >> 8111d/e/whatever...
22 >> they just work
23 >
24 > That mobo is a nice one. Lots of good stuff. If I recall correctly it
25 > has the latest SATA too. The 6Gbs speed that is. Mine has 3Gbs.
26 >
27 > I read somewhere that the current line up of Gigabyte mobos are the
28 > highest rated. It used to be Abit and ASUS but we all know how these
29 > things change. There was another one that was highly rated a good long
30 > while back, especially with Linux users, but I can't recall the brand
31 > now. ASRock or something? Maybe?
32 >
33 > I looked into ASUS before my build and switched to Gigabyte after some
34 > research. About the only thing I was settled on when I started was a
35 > Nvidia based video card. The rest was open to changes. I do wish I had
36 > got the 6 core CPU now tho. That is my only regret. Still happy tho.
37 > This new rig is easily 7 or 8 times faster all the way around.
40 Thanks for all the input, Dale and Volker!
41
42 I think I settle for a GA-880GMA-UD2H ([1]). Basically, it's the little
43 brother of what Volker proposed. I need a Micro-ATX board. Originally, I
44 ruled out all Asrock and Gigabyte boards because because they usually
45 come with 2 PCI slots, 1 PCIe x16 and 1 PCIe x1. I rather want another
46 PCIe 1x instead of the second PCI slot. Asus, Foxconn and MSI offer that.
47
48 This particular Gigabyte board, however, offers a second PCIe 4x (in a
49 physical x16 slot). I guess that's even better. Although the arrangement
50 on the board will make it dificult to use two larger extension cards in
51 both big PCIe slots.
52
53 Regards,
54 Florian Philipp