From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Whats a good honeypot?
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:10:09
1 On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:14:06 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > I am looking at using a honeypot for a research project - need to put
5 > something "safe" to attract packets, scans etc. I was thinking of a
6 > heavily stripped gentoo vm (in virtualbox) running honeyd, but the
7 > ebuild for honeyd is looking like its getting quite old - according to
8 > the honeyd website its 2007-05-27.
9 >
10 > Is there an alternative? I need to dump raw packets (pcap format)
11 > from an unprotected network connection but dont want to risk getting
12 > actually "hacked".
15 backtrack.
16
17 Awesome tool. Our risk and pentest guys use it lots with honeypots
18 scattered all over the network, most of them serving no other purpose
19 than to catch my team out so we owe them lots of beer :-)
20
21 Seriously though, it comes up as a full distro so runs in a VM nicely
22 and is designed to be a security tool. The plumbing you need to
23 not give away that something in a honeypot is already in place. I
24 consider this to be much better than most efforts we'd make to roll our
25 own
30 Alan McKinnnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com