From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to have init-scripts 'wait' for other servers
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:42:46
1 Hi all,
2
3 Does anyone know if an existing method to have init-scripts on server A wait
4 for a service on server B to be started?
5
6 Reason for this:
7 I have one server containing all the databases, one that operates as a NAS and
8 the DNS is running on server 3.
9 In order for the different machines to start correctly, I need to configure it
10 that server 3 starts the DNS before the other machines try to access other
11 machines (don't want to maintain hosts-files as it all works fine once the
12 servers are up and running)
13
14 Also need to make sure the database and NAS is running before the webserver
15 starts.
16
17 I tried to google for it, but I can't find a usefull search string that will
18 give me anything usefull.
19
20 I don't mind reqriting init-scripts for this, but am looking for a way to
21 check if services are up and running from within the init-scripts.
22
23 Thanks,
24
25 Joost Roeleveld