From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:37:24
1 On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 6:39 PM <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > make menuconfig
4 > HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
5 > <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
6 >
7 > Even if I try to run: emerge --info I get:
8 > Illegal instruction
11 Is this running on the same CPU, or are you migrating to a different
12 system? If the CPU changes then you need to make sure that everything
13 on your system was built with a -march compatible with your new
14 system.
15
16 When you plan on migrating between systems it is a good idea to set
17 -march very conservatively, such as -march=x86-64. It is safe to set
18 -mtune to whatever you want, but -march produces code that only runs
19 on that particular CPU. Of course if the new CPU supports EVERY
20 instruction that the previous CPU has then you're fine, but you'd be
21 surprised how many oddball instructions aren't on various CPUs.
24 Rich