From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:17:32
1 On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:29:16 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2
3 > 1) I install "a" which pulls-in "c"
4 > 2) I *manually* install "c". I install "a"
5 > 3) I Install "b". "b" depends on "c". "b" doesn't pull-in "c" because
6 > "c" is already *manually* installed along with "a"
7 > 4) I uninstall "a"
8 > 5) I *manually* uninstall "c"
9 > 6) "b" becomes broken because "c" is no longer in the system
12 > Lets investigate further:
15 > "emerge --deep --update world" will install "c", won't it?
16 >
17 > "emerge b" or "emerge c" will solve the problem, won't it?
18
19 so you go to a lot of trouble to circumvent portage's dependency
20 handling, then you rely on portage to fix things up after your break
21 them. You need to keep lists of what you have merged and unmerged simply
22 to compensate for having broken portage's own list for no good reason.
23
24 What happens if you reboot after unmerging "c", and its absence causes
25 the system to fail to boot? What if you remove something that stops
26 emerge working?
27
28 Gentoo is all about choice, so you are free to choose to use it like
29 this, just as you are free to do "rm -fr /*". But don't expect someone to
30 come up with a magic fix when things get screwed up.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Isn't 'Criminal Lawyer' rather redundant?