From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome mimeinfo cache
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 08:30:57
1 On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I don't know Gnome but I use some applications, like the mail-client/balsa.
6 > It opens suitable applications for given mime types (in attachments).
7 > The application invoked is read from  /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
8 > .
9 > Unfortunately, that file is rebuild after each emerge of a related package.
10 > E.g., having reinstalled media-gfx/gimp it places gimp at the front of the
11 > list of
12 > packages suitable for viewing a postscript file.
13 > Currently I am only able to modify /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache by
14 > changing
15 > the order of coresponding applications.
16 >
17 > Is there a more elegant (persistent) way?
18
19 Edit $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache? It takes
20 precedence over the system one.
21
22 Regards.
23 --