From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: must I mask gnome-3.8 until I am running systemd
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 20:30:30
1 On Fri, Sep 06 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Canek, Thanks for this information. But what about my original
6 >> question, namely
7 >>
8 >> Can I remove my masks and let gnome-3.8 replace 3.6 (to the
9 >> extent portage let's it) while I am running openrc and do
10 >> *not* have systemd installed?
11 >
12 > No, you can't: systemd is now a requirement for GNOME 3; gdm-3.8.4
13 > requires systemd unconditionally. If you try to install GNOME 3.8, it
14 > will install gdm 3.8.4, which will bring systemd. You cannot install
15 > gdm without systemd; therefore, you cannot install gnome-base/gnome
16 > without systemd.
17 >
18 > You could *try* to update the pieces of GNOME to 3.8 that doesn't
19 > require systemd, but I don't think that will end happily.
20 >
21 > Regards.
22
23 That is what I suspected. I will keep the gnome-3.8 packages masked
24 while I build up an old system and then try to convert it to systemd.
25 When the conversion succeeds, I will try to convert my real system.
26
27 thanks again for your help,
28 allan