From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot [NOT SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:31:13
1 2013/8/28 Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
2
3 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
4 > >
5 > > While trying to learn about dracut, I found a detail that made me look
6 > > closer to the genkernel generated initramfs, and I found that the error
7 > > message was perfectly clear: there was no /dev/sda5, where my "real_root"
8 > > is, that initramfs has just /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda4 .
9 > >
10 > > I think it must be a limitation on genkernel part, although I was unable
12 > > find anything related to this issue up to now.
13 >
14 > It appears as if genkernel can only boot off real, not extended
15 > partitions.
16 >
17 > > So now I have rearranged the partitions, using just the first ones. Now I
18 > > got a stuck splash image, no initialization shown, no progress bar
19 > > moving... but this is another problem, probably I forgot to change
20 > > something to reflect the new partitioning scheme.
21 >
22 > It could be a tty problem. If I use genkernel unchanged I get a weird
23 > splash screen and the boot dialog writes all over my splash screen. What
24 > I have to do evey time an emerge updates my genkernel is:
25 >
26 > edit my /usr/share/genkernel/defaults/linuxrc file
27 >
28 > search for CONSOLE in this file and find:
29 >
30 > # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
31 >
32 > Just remove the hash at the start of the line, rebuild my initramfs
33 > and it is ready to go.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Regards,
37 > Gregory.
41 Thanks Gregory.
42
43 I really would like to find that partition number limitation on genkernel
44 in the docs.
45
46 I have already had that splash screen problem, very interesting your
47 solution. That's a big reason I love Gentoo, always learning something new.
48 Funny thing is that checking the file you've mentioned in this new system,
49 it has no hash at that line (line number 13, right?). On the other working
50 system, the same, no hash.
51
52 I'm using genkernel-3.4.45.1 on both systems, perhaps not the same as you.
53
54 Regarding that last issue, the message complaining that the root partition
55 is not a valid block device _is still there_, only masked by the splash
56 (which now is "verbose").
57
58 I was optimistic in believing everything would work as expected once I
59 found that detail.
60
61 Francisco