From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-forensics/chkrootkit finds INFECTED binaries on ~amd64
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:25:53
1 On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just got an email from cron on my ~amd64 machine, containing these lines:
3 >
4 > Checking 'find'... INFECTED
5 > Checking 'netstat'... INFECTED
6 >
7 > Took me a few minutes to deduce that sys-forensics/chkrootkit was the source
8 > of those messages.  I ran chkrootkit manually and found the same messages in
9 > the output.
10 >
11 > I then nervously re-emerged findutils and net-tools, but chkrootkit again
12 > found
13 > the same binaries to be "INFECTED".
14 >
15 > Running chkrootkit on my ~x86 machine turns up no such infections even
16 > though
17 > the same packages are installed on both machines.
18 >
19 > Anyone have any insight into how chkrootkit works, or why the different
20 > results?
21 >
22 > Or, can anyone reproduce my problem?
23
24 chkrootkit is old, has not been updated in years+, and those are false
25 alarms. I got the exact same ones. Basically, chkrootkit is just
26 grepping for a string inside those files:
27
28 /usr/bin/find: sharefile.h
29 /bin/netstat: sockaddr.h
30
31 You may find that if you strip those 2 binaries of debug data, the
32 false positives go away.