From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 06:38:08
1 On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > 'evening, Mark.
3 >
4 > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:41:01PM +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
5 >> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
6 >> > In the end, I humbly believe it's up to me to judge what effect there is for
7 >> > me on my computers.
8 >
9 >> Yes, that's exactly the point. Scroll up and reread this thread,
10 >> though, and you'll get the impression that some complainers seem to
11 >> think that Lennart is breaking into their systems and magickally
12 >> installing his 175-year old software in them. What's this about 100%
13 >> of the users being "forced" to have pulseaudio in?
14 >
15 > Somebody reported that pulseaudio is an absolute requirement for Gnome
16 >>=3.8. That may not be 100% of users, but the "forced" is certainly
17 > there.
18
19 If you don't like it, don't upgrade. Or fork it. Complain if the older
20 ebuild gets taken out of the tree. Form a community that doesn't like
21 it and maintain the older one. Use one of the variants that don't have
22 it as a default. Use XFCE. Use mate. Use some minimal tiling window
23 manager. Use cinnamon. Patch it so that it doesn't need it. Wait for
24 someone to supply an ebuild that has a patch (do you know just how
25 many custom patches gentoo has? A _LOT_) that allows you to disable
26 it. Wait for someone to supply a PPA that has a patch that has it
27 disabled. Pay someone to maintain such a ppa. Find another hobby
28 besides building customized systems that you don't customize.
29
30 You have a TON of choices that don't involve turning the GNOME team
31 into your unpaid slave labor.
32
33 Here's what I predict. Every time I google "gnome 3.8 required
34 pulseaudio", I just get circular references to this thread. The damned
35 rumor hasn't even been confirmed. Whatever.
36
37 If true, 3.8 is going to cause a wildly popular uproar to maintain a
38 nopulse patch which will be enabled in the 3.8 ebuilds and maintained
39 by the poor Gentoo gnome team. Gnome won't accept it, but Gentoo will
40 ship it, and you don't have to do Jack to get it running. You won't
41 even buy the maintainers a beer for the effort.
42
43 If false - oh wait, Gnome 3.8 is already working on openbsd, so it's
44 got to be false. Or is that another out of tree patch? Whatever. The
45 GNOME team still remains evil oppressors who take the choice away from
46 everyone. Because of a rumor you guys started.
47
48 > It was me that started this thread, and me that needed that info. Why
49 > do you have to be so disparaging about the process of learning?
50
51 Disparaging about the process of learning?
52
53 Take a good look at my first entry in this thread. A simple suggestion
54 on a simple technical question. The more I read it the more obvious it
55 becomes to me that some of the participants are more interested in a
56 ricing contest with other distros than, say, learning what pulseaudio
57 does. Case in point: I flat out told you two things it does and you
58 acted like you were still waiting for an answer.
59
60 Here, let me repeat myself in case you really are interested in learning.
61
62 >> It's a sane idea for a desktop distro to include pulse as a -default-.
63 >> No, seriously, it is. Just, frigging bluetooth headsets.
64 >
65 > Do you frig bluetooth headsets? Can't say I do.
68 Bluetooth headsets are a damned good reason to default pulseaudio for
69 -desktop oriented systems-.
70
71 >> And per-application volume control.
72
73 Per application volume control is a damned good reason to default
74 pulseaudio for -desktop oriented systems-.
75
76 Oh but you still don't have to... Yeah, I also answered that already.
77
78 >> Are there other ways to go about
79 >> it? Yeah. It remains to be seen how any of them are an order of
80 >> magnitude better than pulse. You don't -like- it? Fine. There's no
81 >> point in going on on some tirade about how the poor, oppressed 99% of
82 >> users could have been doing just fine with ALSA
83
84 And the hilarious thing is it turns out that whatever was causing your
85 problem wasn't even pulseaudio to begin with. It was just a convenient
86 scapegoat since bashing Lennart is so goddamned fashionable nowadays.
89 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
90 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [x] no
91 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none