From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the same hard-drives, different number of sectors...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:36:14
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi, perhaps someone could explain this to me:
3 >
4 > I have bouth two the same hard-drives. The same model
5 > (Hitachi HUA722050CLA330), the same firmware (JP20A3EA),
6 > the same size (500GB). Well, not exactly. Both hdparm
7 > and fdisk report different number of sectors (976771055
8 > versus 976773168). Although not a big difference, yet
9 > I expected them to be exactly the same (want to use
10 > them for raid1).
11 >
12 > So how is it possible they do not have the same number
13 > of sectors? I have bought them from one supplier, even
14 > their serial numbers are very close (only the last 2
15 > characters out of 24 are different)...
16 >
17 > Jarry
18
19 Maybe one has some stuff mapped out due to bad blocks found during
20 manufacturing or something like that? Not sure what it will tell you
21 but have you run smartctl on the drives and looked around at what they
22 tell you to find any differences?
23
24 - Mark