From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Update a portage package
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:13:56
1 2014-09-14 15:30 GMT-06:00 Henrique Lengler <henriqueleng@×××××××××××.org>:
2 > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 10:15:29PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> In that case, it should be included with the ebuild, you need to file a
4 >> request to add the patch on bugs.gentoo.org.
5 >
6 > Thanks everyone. I did it.
7 >
8 I would suggest looking at the changelog if there's an active
9 maintainer first, if there is, it's likely they keep an eye on the
10 repos and bugfixes for the software they package, and if the bugfix is
11 critical, they make a patch, but you can't expect them to be every
12 hour checking on the repos, In the recomendations it says that if you
13 see a new version of a package, you should at least wait 48 hours,
14 before asking on the bugtracker for a bump, the '0 day bump request'
15 are not apreciated by the developers, I would say this also aplies to
16 critical bugfixes, and the patch you want was committed just a few
17 hours ago.
18
19 If it really is that much important for you, try to apply the patch to
20 the latest version in the tree modifying the ebuild, put it in your
21 local portage or a personal overlay, test it and then wait at least a
22 day, and post the ebuild on the bug-tracker and request a new revision
23 including the patch to be made by the ebuild maintainer.