From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 21:03:41
1 >Sorry, but I believe the you are the one being pretentious; how long
2 >has been since you tried PulseAudio? It has come a loooong way, and I
3 >haven't seen any real flames against PulseAudio in many months (and
4 >it's enabled in all major distributions). And that is because it's
5 >working (I repeat my words) "for me and many more".
6
7 Windows "works" for many people it does not make it the best OS or the only one.
8 In Ubuntu they went from oss to PulseAudio.
9 I bet that 90% of Ubuntu users do not know that PulseAudio uses Alsa.
10
11 >And to finish, I don't know how much you know about technical
12 >decisions and design, but I know that Linus refused to accept OSS4 in
13 >the kernel, I know that all major distributions decided to go with
14 >PulseAudio, and I know that Intel, Nokia and Google are betting for
15 >it.
16
17 Why do you think PulseAudio is userspace. Haha
18
19 Setting up Alsa was/is hard to do but with my on board chip it was plug and play.
20 If Alsa was easy to setup then PulseAudio would not be main stream.
21
22 Alsa trys to hardware mix if it can not it mixes in software.
23 PulseAudio mixes in software and never trys to mix in hardware.
24 Did I get that right?
25
26 So if your n900 sound chip can not mix in hardware then you may as well use PulseAudio.
27 As the load is still on the CPU.
28
29 At the end of the day I want to pick a sound system and use it.
30 I do not want one forced on me.