From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] HELP! grub stops, only hard reset helps
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:15:52
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Heinz Sporn [mailto:heinz.sporn@××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: 09 September 2005 07:19
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HELP! grub stops, only hard reset helps
6 >
7 [snip]
8 > Ok, now we're talking. When you enter Grub this way it doesn't care
9 > about an existing configuration - so IMHO no problem there.
10 > Here's what
11 > I would do:
12 >
13 > 1. Check if top shows reasonable results - if not step 3
14 > 2. Re-emerge grub - if that doesn't help - step 3
15 > 3. memtest86 for a day
16
17 Re-emerge and re-install Grub. If Grub hangs when you try to install
18 it, which I assume is what is happening, then you can try starting as: #
19 grub --no-floppy, to see if it works. Grub hanging basically implies
20 that there's a hardware hick up of some sort.
21
22 If Lilo works fine regardless and re-emerging/re-installing Grub does
23 not resolve the problem, could you please show us your Lilo config file
24 to see if we can draw some parallels between the two boot loaders.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list